June 13th, 2014
As posted on our homepage and this FAQ in July of 2013, Yahoo has acquired Xobni. Although the team has been busy bringing Xobni-like features into Yahoo products (like compose auto-suggest and people-centric mail search), certain Xobni and Smartr stand-alone services are set to shut down soon. At a high level, this is what you need to know:
Note: Your original emails and contacts from other services or in Outlook remain as they are. If you have emails and data in Outlook or GMail, Xobni has never edited them and our shut-down will not delete any data hosted with those services. This shut-down only pertains to the data hosted on Xobni's servers.
Xobni Service Shut-Down Schedule
- July 2nd, 2014: All requests to Xobni servers from Xobni and Smartr client software will cease to function. The web-based export function for Xobni Cloud users will remain available until...
- August 20th, 2014: All Xobni Cloud data will be erased and our servers will be permanently de-commissioned; after this point any export or data restore is not possible. You will no longer be able to log in to the support site using your Xobni username and password. No further support requests will be accepted.
On a product-by-product basis, here are the recommended steps for as little disruption in productivity as possible:
If you use...
- ...a Xobni Cloud account (you probably have one if you purchased Xobni Pro or used our Gmail, Android, or iPhone products), then you can export your contacts to a tab-delimited file before August 20th, 2014. Learn more here.
- ...Xobni for Outlook, then certain features will cease to function. But as an alternative, and as a way to keep certain premium features, please read more about and download Xobni for Outlook: Infinity Edition.
- ...Smartr Inbox for Gmail, then unfortunately it will simply stop working. Here is how to uninstall Smartr Inbox for Gmail from your browser.
- ...Smartr Contacts for iPhone or Android, then it will unfortunately stop fetching new data and won't work very well. You can uninstall it, or keep it on your phone for nostalgia purposes.
- ...Xobni for BlackBerry, then, first of, all congrats on keeping it going this long. It may still work as it does today, but if you have access to Xobni Cloud, that data won't update after July 2nd, 2014.
(Older updates are below for reference)
February 18th, 2014
Xobni features are now available in Yahoo Mail! Please see this post about Xobni auto-suggest and stay tuned for more.
July 3rd, 2013 (Original Announcement)
As you may have heard, some changes are afoot at Xobni & Smartr. Xobni has been acquired by Yahoo. At a high level, this is what you need to know:
- If you're an existing Xobni or Smartr user, nothing changes for you until July 2nd, 2014.
- If you paid for something, you'll receive everything for which you paid (and probably more).
- New purchases of premium products are no longer being accepted.
- Smartr Contacts for Android and Xobni for BlackBerry are no longer available for download.
More details follow.
Major Changes as of July 3rd, 2013:
Xobni is no longer accepting new purchases of premium products. This includes Xobni Pro, Xobni Enterprise, Xobni for Teams, the Xobni Salesforce Gadget, and the Xobni JIRA Gadget.
Smartr Contacts for Android and Xobni for BlackBerry are no longer available as downloads from Xobni. Users who have downloaded this software in the past can expect it to function as-is through July 2nd, 2014.
News for Existing Premium Customers:
Xobni Pro for Outlook
As a courtesy and thank-you to existing Xobni Pro subscribers, your subscription will be extended to last through July 2nd, 2014. After that date, to retain certain premium features, you may need to install a new version of Xobni for Outlook that will be available in the coming months. There are no plans to build a version that supports Outlook 2013 (see system requirements).
Xobni Pro for BlackBerry
Xobni and Xobni Pro for BlackBerry will continue to function for existing users through July 2nd, 2014. After that time, access to Xobni Cloud, and the fetching of social profiles and photos may cease to work.
Xobni Plus (last available Feb 2011)
Xobni Plus (available for Outlook) customers' existing software premium features will continue to work through July 2nd, 2014. After that date, to retain premium features, you may need to install a new version of Xobni for Outlook that will be available in the coming months. There are no plans to build a version that supports Outlook 2013 (see system requirements).
Xobni Salesforce Gadget and Xobni JIRA Gadget
As a courtesy and thank-you to existing premium gadget subscribers, your subscription will be extended to last through July 2nd, 2014.
Xobni Enterprise / Xobni Business Solutions
Existing Xobni Enterprise licenses will be extended, as a courtesy, through July 2nd, 2014. The admin portal will no longer be available after this date, and clients will revert to the free version. If you want to continue using Xobni for Outlook, please read more about and download Xobni for Outlook: Infinity Edition (msi installers are linked towards the bottom of the page).
Xobni for Teams
Existing Xobni Pro licenses within Xobni for Teams will be extended, as a courtesy, through July 2nd, 2014. After that date, to retain certain premium features, you may need to install a version of Xobni for Outlook that will be available in the near future. You may no longer add new Pro licenses to a team but you may move existing licenses from one team member to another. You may still add free users (non-Pro) to teams.
Premium Support Continues
We are committed to delivering you premium support throughout the duration of your premium subscription.
Products with No Near-Term Changes:
Smartr Inbox for Gmail and Smartr Contacts for iPhone remain available for download. While downloads may be unavailable at a later date, these products are expected to function normally for existing users through July 2nd, 2014.
Existing server-based services (Xobni Cloud, Xobni Gadgets) are expected to function through July 2nd, 2014.